On this day ...


This popped up on Facebook because I posted it two years ago today. I think it's worth re-posting here as a little slice of what they call "actor life." 


April 19, 2020

Amazingly alive, creative day today! It started off with an online, group audition for a new show by Dacha called Funfair. I really wasn't sure how it would work on Zoom but it did.
The first energizing, magic part is when you break into small groups and create a scene from nothing. You get a few prompts and a few minutes and then they say "go!"
Our little group was on fire. We created a whole world in six minutes and presented it to the other dozen or so actors and the creative team. I was so proud of our cohesion and our artistry. The other groups were just as good.
Then we moved on to the one-on-one part. I got to create a character, again from basically nothing and have her go interact with one of the members of the creative team. I was this whole other person, Daisy Lansing, on a Disney cruise with her three card-playing friends. And for those couple of moments, Daisy was a real person in the world, as real as Jessica Fletcher or J.R. Ewing, anyway.
Later, again for Dacha, it was my day to do our daily 5:00 pm story time reading [we were doing this online during the early days of the pandemic]. I read two Chekov stories, Vanka first and then After the Theater. Again was an opportunity to spin a world into being.
I don't know if I can explain how gratifying it is to do this, to bring something into the world that was never there before, present it, and let it go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

14/48 2023

Happy Endings

Nina Simone: Four Women at Seattle Rep