How Are You?

I'm teleworking. But my job has always involved having phone conversations with strangers, basically. And we all know that the first thing you say on the phone is some version of "how are you."

I have been saying the obligatory "fine" or "great" or whatever we usually say. But then I say something like, "Well, I'm doing terrible actually." And that puts us both at ease, or as much at ease as you can be. There is a bonding. I think it's important to share and acknowledge that this is bad, and it hurts, and it's frightening, if that's how you are really feeling.

We like the positive talk, and the hope, and we all want to be strong for each other. I think that usually wins out over the vulnerability.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

American Buffalo in Marysville

14/48 2023

Bechdel Test and other improvisations