Assassins at Second Story Rep


Assassins was good. I think I got the meaning of the show better than the version I saw at the 5th/ACT in 2016. Maybe it was because I read the director's notes beforehand, which put a spotlight on the theme.

Director Alicia Mendez wrote about the motives of the assassins and said, "The most shocking aspect of this musical is the common threads are wants and needs that everyone can identify with ..." That translated perfectly onto stage. The Sam Byck monologue had me saying, yes, I agree -- wait, no, you're crazy!

The production elements pushed the emotion also. The number near the end, November 22, 1963 where the assassins all goad Lee Harvey Oswald, and then he follows though was devastating, especially because they had the 1963 footage projected onto a screen behind.

After the final number, the cast just walks off the set. No curtain call. Perfect to just leave you thinking. 


Photo by me of the set before the show.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

American Buffalo in Marysville

14/48 2023

Bechdel Test and other improvisations