Escape room

Here is a short post that originally appeared on my Facebook on 11/02/2017 when I was in the middle of the rehearsal process for a show.  This is not, of course, a review which is the focus of this blog but perhaps it tells you something about my perspective on acting and that will inform your reading of my reviews. 

Acting: Shall I compare thee to an escape room?
Acting is like an escape room. You assemble clues. You work in a group. You encounter obstacles. Sometimes you feel like there is no way out. And then you find the keys, you overcome the obstacles and you're free. Free!
Then you try another escape room and it's the same thing all over again. All the old clues are useless. The tricks that worked last time don't work this time. Stuck again!
After a month working on my new show, Quick Bright Things, some doors that were hidden are opening. I've leaned on my companions to unlock other passages. And it's getting fun. I can see a few steps ahead. Can't wait to break out!

Photo by Tom Ciaburri of Oberon and Titania in Quick Bright Things. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

American Buffalo in Marysville

14/48 2023

Happy Endings